We made something similar (based on the "farmer's market sandwich" also from cooking light, June 2011. It is very simply, but very very good.
Grilled Vegetable and Mozzarella Sandwiches
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 338
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 11.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 14.3g
- Carbohydrate: 44.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 785mg
- Calcium: 287mg
- 3 cups (1/8-inch-thick) diagonally cut zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 3 (1/8-inch-thick) slices red onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 (1-pound) loaf ciabatta, cut in half horizontally
- 1 cup gourmet salad greens
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Remove vegetables from bowl, reserving vinegar mixture. Place the onion and bell pepper on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 7 minutes on each side or until tender. Grill zucchini 3 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Hollow out bottom half of bread, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Layer grilled vegetables, greens, cheese, and basil in bottom of loaf; drizzle reserved vinegar mixture on top. Cover with top of the bread; press lightly.
- Place filled loaf on grill rack; grill 4 minutes on each side or until cheese melts. Cut into quarters.
You can use a grilling basket to make it easier to handle the vegetables as they cook. If you can't find a loaf of ciabatta, use focaccia.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note