I will never make gazpacho again without roasting the veggies. This was just perfect, and the cucumber slaw on top really added to it. I'm not entirely sure adding the water is necessary, especially if you like it a little thicker.
Grilled Vegetable Gazpacho
Make this soup up to two days ahead, cover, and chill until you're ready to serve. If you prepare it ahead, you may need to stir in a bit of water before serving, as it may thicken slightly as it sits. For more heat, leave the seeds in the jalapeño, or remove them to tame the flames.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- Calories: 134
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 11.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Sodium: 280mg
- Calcium: 29mg
- 3 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, cored and cut in half crosswise (about 3 pounds)
- 1 onion, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (1-ounce) piece French bread baguette, cut into 2 slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups thinly sliced, quartered English cucumber
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Brush cut sides of tomatoes and onion slices with 1 tablespoon oil. Lightly coat bread with cooking spray. Place bread on grill rack, and grill 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Remove from grill. Place peppers on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 8 minutes or until blistered, turning peppers after 4 minutes. Remove peppers from grill. Place peppers in a small paper bag; fold tightly to seal. Let stand for 20 minutes. Arrange onion on grill rack; grill for 10 minutes. Turn onion over. Arrange tomatoes, cut sides down, on grill rack; grill onion and tomatoes 10 minutes. Peel and seed peppers.
- 3. Combine 2 tablespoons oil, bread, grilled vegetables, 1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and garlic in a blender; process until smooth. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, cucumber, and remaining ingredients; toss. Ladle about 2/3 cup soup in each of 6 bowls, and top each serving with about 1/3 cup cucumber mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note