- Cooking spray
- 1 small eggplant, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup bottled roasted red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup fat-free zesty Italian dressing
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 (8-ounce) loaf ciabatta
- 4 ounces fontina cheese, sliced
- calories 312
- caloriesfromfat 34 %
- fat 11.7 g
- satfat 5.9 g
- protein 13.7 g
- carbohydrate 40.5 g
- fiber 5.1 g
- cholesterol 33 mg
- iron 2.3 mg
- sodium 885 mg
- calcium 179 mg
How to Make It
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Coat eggplant slices with cooking spray, and place in pan. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
Combine eggplant and next 4 ingredients in bowl, tossing to coat.
Slice ciabatta loaf in half lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side.
Arrange vegetable mixture evenly over bottom half of bread; top with cheese and top half of bread. Cut into 4 equal servings.
Place sandwiches in grill pan over medium-high heat. Place a piece of foil over sandwiches; top with a heavy skillet to press sandwiches. Cook 2 minutes. Turn sandwiches; replace foil and heavy skillet. Cook 2 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.