Grilled Vegetable Caprese with Pesto
The original Caprese salad consists of mozzarella, tomato, and basil, but my take adds grilled vegetables and homemade pesto for a hearty twist.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 295
- Fat: 21.2g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 10g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Protein: 14.6g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 389mg
- Calcium: 330mg
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 (1-ounce) package fresh basil, stems removed
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound zucchini, diagonally cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 pound yellow squash, diagonally cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 (12-inch) metal skewers
- 5 ounces bocconcini mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. To prepare pesto, drop garlic through food chute with food processor on; process until minced. Add walnuts and basil; process until finely ground. Add cheese and next 3 ingredients (through water); process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and chill.
- 2. To prepare salad, preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. Place eggplant and onion on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Remove from grill.
- 4. Place zucchini and yellow squash on grill rack; cover and grill 4 to 6 minutes or until tender. Remove from grill.
- 5. Thread tomatoes evenly onto skewers; coat with cooking spray. Place skewers on grill rack; cover and grill 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Remove tomatoes from skewers.
- 6. Arrange vegetables, tomatoes, and cheese on a large platter; drizzle 1/2 cup pesto over salad, and sprinkle with salt. Serve with remaining pesto.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note