Grilled Tuna Salad with Wasabi Dressing
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh tuna steak
- 4 teaspoons wasabi powder*
- 2 tablespoons tahini* (sesame paste)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 7 ounces alfalfa sprouts (4 cups)
- 7 ounces trimmed enoki mushrooms* (2 cups)
- 1/2 pound young spinach, stemmed
- 2 tablespoons slivered Japanese pickled ginger*
- *Available at Asian markets and health food shops
- 1. In a shallow glass dish, combine 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of the oil. Add the tuna and coat well. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes, turning the fish twice.
- 2. Light a grill or preheat the broiler. In a small bowl, mix the wasabi powder with 4 teaspoons of hot water. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- 3. In another bowl, stir 2 tablespoons of warm water into the tahini. Stir in the wasabi paste, vinegar, mustard, sugar, garlic and the remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce and 4 teaspoons oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Season the tuna with salt and pepper; grill or broil until crusty on the outside and rare within, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the fish to a plate to rest for a few minutes, then slice it against the grain 1/3 inch thick.
- 5. In a large bowl, toss the alfalfa sprouts with the enoki mushrooms and all but 2 tablespoons of the dressing; loosen the sprouts to evenly distribute the dressing. Scatter the spinach leaves on 4 large plates and arrange the tuna on top. Drizzle on the remaining 2 tablespoons dressing. Mound the sprout salad on the tuna, scatter the pickled ginger on top and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note