Sunset AUGUST 1997
1. Trim and discard excess fat from beef. Cut 1-inch-long slits about 1/2 inch deep and about 1 inch apart over top and bottom of roast.
2. Mix soy sauce, chopped cilantro, liquid smoke, oregano, garlic, and pepper.
3. Set roast in a rimmed dish and spoon soy mixture into slits. Pour remaining mixture over meat.
4. Set roast on a grill above a solid bed of medium-hot coals or on a gas barbecue set on medium-high heat (you can hold your hand at grill level only 3 to 4 seconds). Cover gas grill. Cook roast, turning once, until a thermometer inserted in center of thickest part registers 125° for rare, 20 to 25 minutes total for a 1 1/2- to 2-inch-thick piece.
5. Transfer meat to a board and let rest about 5 minutes. Cut across the grain in thin slices. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Go to Full Version of