I loved the marinade for the chicken though I did make some adjustments. I added an additional tablespoon of brown sugar and used a wee bit less Tamari (non gluten soy sauce) as I find too much off putting. I will never used packaged slaw again. The taste was stale and almost rancid. I'll try their suggestion with fresh broccoli next time, otherwise I'll just use fresh cabbage and carrots.
Grilled Thai Chicken Thighs with Spicy Broccoli Slaw
If you can't find packaged broccoli slaw, whirl broccoli stems in a food processor, using the grater attachment. Throw in a carrot and some red cabbage if you like.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 316
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 15.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 1029mg
- Cholesterol: 126mg
- 2 tablespoons Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce*
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, white parts only, minced
- 2 pounds boned, skinned chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 12 ounces broccoli slaw
- 2 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1. Heat grill to high (450° to 550°). Mix fish sauce, sherry vinegar, 2 tbsp. soy sauce, the brown sugar, garlic, and lemongrass; add chicken and toss to coat.
- 2. Mix remaining 1 tbsp. soy sauce, the rice vinegar, oil, mirin, ginger, and chile. Toss with broccoli slaw and green onions.
- 3. Grill chicken, basting with marinade and turning once, until cooked, about 10 minutes. Serve chicken over slaw.
- *Find in the Asian-food aisle.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note