Delicious! My whole family enjoyed this dish with brown rice and steamed broccoli. I baked it (covered) in a 350 degree oven and it came out very tender and delicious - the marinade ended up making a nice sauce for the rice. The yogurt sauce recipe makes a lot - we used less than half of it - although you could save it for other recipes (would go well with shawarma). Easy to make ahead and then just throw in the oven or on the grill - will definitely make this again!
Grilled Tandoori Chicken
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 256
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 32.2g
- Carbohydrate: 12.7g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 119mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 767mg
- Calcium: 181mg
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander, divided
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped seeded serrano pepper
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 16 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1. Heat oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add paprika, 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander, garam masala, turmeric, and red pepper to pan; cook 2 minutes or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Remove from pan; cool.
- 2. Place onion, ginger, serrano pepper, and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth. Add spice mixture, 1/2 cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons juice, and 1 3/4 teaspoons salt to onion mixture; process until smooth. Transfer mixture to a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag. Cut 3 shallow slits in each chicken thigh. Add chicken to bag, and seal. Toss to coat. Marinate in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- 3. Prepare grill.
- 4. Combine remaining 2 cups yogurt, 2 tablespoons juice, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl, stirring well. Cover mixture, and chill.
- 5. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 7 minutes on each side or until done. Serve with yogurt mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This