Grilled Summer Squash with Bagna Cauda and Fried Capers
Photo: Peden + Munk
Bagna cauda, the simple Italian sauce of olive oil, anchovies and garlic, flavors strips of grilled zucchini and yellow squash. The excellent topping: crispy fried capers.
More From Food & Wine
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 jar of capers, drained and patted dry with paper towels
- 8 anchovy fillets, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 4 yellow squash, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, Finely grated zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon (minced) flat-leaf parsley, plus 1 cup parsley leaves
- In a medium skillet, heat the 1/2 cup of olive oil. Add the capers in an even layer and cook over moderate heat until the capers start to sizzle, about 2 minutes; stand back, as the capers may spatter. Reduce the heat to moderately low and continue to cook until the capers are crisp, about 4 minutes longer. With a slotted spoon, transfer the capers to paper towels to drain.
- Stir the anchovies and garlic into the olive oil in the skillet. Simmer over low heat until the garlic starts to turn golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Light a grill. Brush the zucchini and squash slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat until they are just tender and nicely charred, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the zucchini and squash to a platter.
- Rewarm the anchovy dressing and add the lemon zest, lemon juice and minced parsley. Drizzle the warm bagna cauda over the grilled zucchini and squash, sprinkle with the fried capers and parsley leaves and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note