Looks very exquisite. I think I know what I'm gonna make Saturday.......
Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Kebabs
You'll need 32 bamboo skewers (each 8 in.); there's no need to soak them before they go on the grill, because they won't char with such a short cooking time.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 302
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Protein: 4g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 7.1g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 326mg
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 angel food cake (1 lb.)
- 32 strawberries (2 lbs.), preferably about 1 1/2 in. wide, hulled to create a V-shaped hollow
- 6 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1. Beat whipping cream, crème fraîche, sugar, and zest in a bowl with a mixer until thick enough to hold a soft shape. Chill.
- 2. Cut cake into parallel slices 1 1/2 in. wide, then cut slices into 32 chunks, each 1 1/2 in. Save remaining cake for other uses.
- 3. Heat grill to medium-low (300° to 350°). Put strawberries in a large bowl. Microwave jam in a glass measuring cup until bubbling, about 30 seconds. Using a pastry brush, dab hulled insides of berries with jam, then brush remaining jam over berries and turn gently to coat all over.
- 4. Hold a pair of bamboo skewers so they're slightly separated and thread a chunk of cake onto them, then a berry crosswise, then another chunk of cake and another berry. Repeat to make 15 more kebabs.
- 5. Grill kebabs, covered, turning once with tongs, until grill marks appear, 3 to 4 minutes; cake should release from grate when it's toasted, but if not, nudge with tip of tongs. Serve with cream mixture.
- Make ahead: Through step 4 up to 2 hours, covered and chilled.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings