Holy cow - the prep time/effort for this recipe is not for the faint of heart! The end result was tasty, but I don't see myself making this often as it's a rare day when I have this much time to cook (And I love cooking!).
Grilled Steak and Vegetable Salad with Chipotle Chimichurri Dressing
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 476
- Calories from fat: 71%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 39g
- Saturated fat: 6.8g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Sodium: 672mg
- Cholesterol: 34mg
- CHIPOTLE CHIMICHURRI DRESSING
- 1 1/4 cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1 1/4 cups loosely packed cilantro sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 medium canned chipotle chiles, finely chopped
- STEAK AND SALAD
- 1 flank steak (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs.), silverskin trimmed*
- 3 zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 in. thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- About 1 tsp. kosher salt
- About 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 head romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into 1-in. ribbons
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, sliced
- 6 radishes, julienned
- 1. Make chimichurri dressing: In a food processor, whirl all ingredients except for chipotles until minced. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in chipotles.
- 2. Prepare steak and salad: Rub steak and zucchini with oil, then sprinkle with 1 tsp. each salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a grill to high (450° to 550°).
- 3. Grill steak, turning once, 6 to 8 minutes total for medium-rare. Transfer to a board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest 5 minutes. Meanwhile, grill zucchini and bell peppers, turning occasionally, until grill marks appear on zucchini (4 minutes) and bell peppers are blackened (about 10 minutes).
- 4. Put bell peppers in a bowl and cover. When cool enough to handle, peel, stem, seed, and dice. Slice steak diagonally across the grain into thin strips, then cut pieces in half. Cut zucchini in half on a diagonal.
- 5. Toss lettuce in a bowl with half the dressing, then divide among plates. Divide zucchini, bell peppers, steak, and avocado slices among plates, then drizzle remaining chimichurri on top. Garnish with radishes and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- *Silverskin is the thin, shiny connective tissue on the outside of the meat that gets stringy when it cooks. Remove it with a sharp knife, or ask a butcher to do it.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes