I also mixed everything together, but if I was doing this for company, I'd probably keep them separate, not just so folks can pick and choose but because the whole thing gets a bit goopey...especially after a day or two of being in the fridge. Actually, this really doesn't work that well for the single cook, although I dug the use of arugula...man, I do love me some arugula. Also, for the rub, I'd leave the garlic out of the dry spice mix altogether and just rub a couple of sliced garlic halves over the steak before adding the rub, otherwise the garlic messes up the texture of the rub pretty badly, and I'd only add 1 TBSP of coriander. Oh, and just a reminder to myself and everyone else: flank steak should be cooked on high heat. Don't let those coals burn down to medium or you could end up slow cooking your flank steak into a rubbery and overcooked waste of meat.
Grilled-Steak Soft Tacos
The sweet, caramelized flavor of grilled corn makes an excellent addition to steak tacos. The arugula is an unexpected topping, or you can use shredded lettuce. Omit the pepper slices for delicate palates.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 397
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 28.1g
- Carbohydrate: 34.3g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 425mg
- Calcium: 56mg
- 1 cup fresh lime juice (about 8 limes)
- 1 (2-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- 4 ears shucked corn
- 8 (8-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
- 2 cups trimmed arugula
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup cilantro sprigs
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 cup diced peeled avocado
- 1/2 cup sliced seeded jalapeño pepper (about 4 peppers)
- 8 lime wedges
- Combine lime juice and steak in a large zip-top plastic bag, and seal bag. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning bag occasionally.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove steak from bag; discard marinade. Combine cumin and next 4 ingredients (cumin through garlic); rub over both sides of steak.
- Place steak on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Place on a cutting board; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
- Place corn on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Cut kernels from ears of corn; discard cobs.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide steak evenly among tortillas; top each serving with about 1/4 cup corn, 1/4 cup arugula, 1/4 cup onion, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 2 tablespoons tomato, 2 tablespoons avocado, and 1 tablespoon jalapeño. Fold tortillas in half. Serve with lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine