I loved this salad and so did my husband, who went back for seconds. However, I added a few special touches. I added a 14 oz. can of hearts of palm (instead of 7.5 oz.), and a container of feta cheese. I also used two boneless top loin steaks because they were on sale. I covered them in olive oil and coated them with salt, pepper, oregano, rosemary, garlic and basil and let them marinate for 30 miutes in the herbs before grilling. Yum, Yum. I will make this again.
Grilled Steak Salad with Caper Vinaigrette
Add grilled steak to a bed of watercress and vegetables and toss with a tangy homemade dressing for a hearty main-dish salad.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 224
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 27.3g
- Carbohydrate: 16.8g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 5.7mg
- Sodium: 699mg
- Calcium: 114mg
- 1 pound beef tenderloin, trimmed
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups (1-inch) cut green beans (about 1/2 pound)
- 4 cups trimmed watercress (about 1 bunch)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1 (7.75-ounce) can hearts of palm, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon honey mustard
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare grill.
- To prepare salad, place the beef on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill 7 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut the steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Place beef in a large bowl.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan; add beans. Cover and cook 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse with cold water; drain well. Add beans, watercress, tomatoes, onion, mushrooms, and hearts of palm to beef, and toss gently to combine.
- To prepare dressing, combine red wine vinegar and remaining ingredients, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently to coat.
This recipe is great with leftover beef.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads