Grilled Steak Salad Niçoise
All the ingredients of the French classic are here except tuna.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1 (16-ounce) bottle vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste (optional)
- 4 medium-size new potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 pound small green beans, trimmed
- 6 cups gourmet salad greens
- 4 plum tomatoes, each cut into 4 wedges
- 16 kalamata olives
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, quartered
- Score steak diagonally across grain at 3/4-inch intervals.
- Whisk together vinaigrette, mustard, and, if desired, anchovy paste. Pour 1/2 cup mixture in a shallow dish or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; reserve remaining mixture. Add flank steak to dish or bag, cover or seal, and chill 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Cook potato in boiling water to cover in a large saucepan 10 to 12 minutes or until tender; drain and toss with 1/2 cup reserved vinaigrette mixture. Set aside.
- Cook green beans in boiling water to cover 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge beans into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain. Pat dry with paper towels, and set aside.
- Remove flank steak from marinade, and discard marinade.
- Grill steak, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 5 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Remove from grill, and let stand 10 minutes. Cut diagonally across grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Toss salad greens with 1/4 cup remaining vinaigrette mixture, and place on 4 serving plates. Arrange steak, green beans, potato, tomato, olives, and egg on salad greens. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette mixture, and serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes