- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups drained and rinsed canned black beans (from two 15-ounce cans)
- 1 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 2/3 cup canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree
- 1 7- ounces jar sliced pimentos, drained (2/3 cup)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak, about 1 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
How to Make It
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, broth, tomatoes, pimentos, bay leaf, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Simmer until thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
Light the grill or heat the broiler. Rub the steak with the remaining oil; sprinkle with the remaining salt and the pepper. Grill or broil for 4 minutes. Turn; cook to your taste, about 4 minutes longer for medium-rare. Cut into thin diagonal slices. Top the beans with the steak and sauce.
Serve With: Chimichurri Sauce
Wine Recommendation: This robust dish needs a rollicking red. Go for an all-American Napa, Sonoma, or Amador zinfandel for spiciness and big fruit flavor.