Grilled Squid Salad
- 2 pounds cleaned squid
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons thin-sliced basil leaves
- 1/2 head green leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (about 1 quart)
- 1/4 cup drained sliced pimientos (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup halved and pitted black olives
- 4 scallions including green tops, sliced thin
- 1. Light the grill. In a medium bowl, toss the squid with 1/4 cup of the oil and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt.
- 2. In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the lemon juice, vinegar, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup oil with a fork. Stir in the basil.
- 3. Grill the squid quickly over high heat, turning once, until just done, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove. When cool enough to handle, cut the bodies into 1/2-inch rings and cut the tentacles in half. Add the squid, lettuce, pimientos, olives, and scallions to the dressing and toss.
- Variation: Shrimp can replace the squid. Toss a pound and a half of large shelled shrimp with the oil and salt, as in Step 1, and grill or broil them until just done, turning once, about five minutes in all.
- Wine Recommendation: A light, high-acid wine is a must to stand up to the lemon and vinegar in the dressing here. To highlight the squid, serve a vibrant, fruity pinot grigio from the Alto Adige.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This