We loved this recipe. It was the hit of our BBQ. Everyone rated it the best dish. Added 2 cloves minced garlic, 1 TB dijon mustard, 1 TB lime juice and a dash of cayenne. Served it alongside a pork roast, but will be happy to eat with many meats.
Grilled Spicy Sweet-Potato Packs
Notes: Be sure to use heavy-duty aluminum foil for your packs, as regular foil may tear on the grill. If you plan to cook the potatoes with the Spice-Rubbed Smoke-Roasted Chicken, you may need to place a packet or two directly over the heat in order to fit everything. That's fine, as long as you rotate the packs every 10 minutes or so to prevent burning. Prep and Cook Time: 40 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 224
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 2.5g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Sodium: 861mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 2 medium), peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 3/4 pound red onions (about 1 large), peeled, halved, and cut into 1/3-inch-thick wedges
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- 1. In a large bowl, toss sweet potato slices and onion wedges with the olive oil, thyme, ketchup, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- 2. Set out six 12- by 14-inch sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil (see notes) on the counter, shiny side down. Distribute the potato mixture evenly among the sheets, spooning into the center of each sheet. Fold the top edge of each foil sheet down over the potato mixture. Crimp all the edges together to create a tight seal.
- 3. Prepare your grill for indirect heat (see "How to set up your grill for indirect heat" below). The temperature inside your grill should be between 350° and 400° (insert a long-stemmed thermometer through lid vent to measure temperature). Place packages on the grill, overlapping slightly if needed, and cover barbecue. Cook until potatoes are tender when pierced, 25 to 30 minutes. If cooking with the Spice-Rubbed Smoke-Roasted Chicken, add to grill during the last 30 minutes of cooking (see notes).
- 4. Remove packages from grill. Let cool 10 minutes, then serve each packet with a wedge of lime to squirt over the vegetables.
- How to set up your grill for indirect heat.
- On a charcoal barbecue: Ignite about 60 briquets on the firegrate of your barbecue. Let burn until coals are dotted with ash, about 25 minutes, then push coals to one side and lay a drip pan on the other side. Set grill in place.
- On a gas barbecue: Turn heat to high and close lid for at least 10 minutes. Adjust heat to medium and turn off burners as needed to create a hot and a cool zone for indirect cooking. Set drip pan in cool zone; set grill in place.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note