Grilled Spice-Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes and Scallions
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 12 scallions including 2 inches of green top, root end trimmed
- 1. Light the grill. In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of the oil with the cayenne, thyme, nutmeg, brown sugar, vinegar, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Rub the mixture over the pork.
- 2. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Brush the sweet potatoes and the scallions with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- 3. Grill the pork over moderate heat, turning once, until done to medium, 12 to 15 minutes in all. Transfer the pork to a carving board and leave to rest in a warm spot.
- 4. Grill the sweet potatoes and scallions, turning, until tender, about 5 minutes. Cut the pork into 1/2-inch diagonal slices. Serve with the vegetables.
- Variation: Substitute 1 pound of asparagus spears for the scallions. Snap off the tough ends and use an additional tablespoon of oil for brushing the spears. Grill for about 10 minutes.
- Wine Recommendation: Australian Shiraz's lush, jammy fruit flavor makes it a great partner for grilled meats. Try one here for an inexpensive but tasty treat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This