This has become a go-to recipe at our house, simple and delicious. It's best served in summer/early fall when tomatoes are in season, but it is a treat at any time of the year. In winter, I use grape tomatoes instead.
Grilled Skirt Steak and Mesclun Salad with Miso Dressing
Photo: Howard L. Puckett; Styling: Lydia Degaris-Pursell
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 275
- Calories from fat: 47%
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 26.2g
- Carbohydrate: 10.7g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 4.6mg
- Sodium: 621mg
- Calcium: 102mg
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons miso (soybean paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 (1-pound) skirt steak
- Cooking spray
- 8 cups gourmet salad greens
- 2 tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 medium English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- To prepare dressing, combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- To prepare steak, combine onions, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons vinegar, sugar, and minced garlic in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add steak to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove steak from bag. Place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Place steak in a medium bowl. Drizzle with half of dressing; toss well.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl. Drizzle with remaining dressing; toss well. Place about 1 cup salad mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 3 ounces steak, 4 tomato wedges, and one quarter of cucumber slices. Sprinkle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds.
- Wine note: When layering potent flavors like the savory soy and char-grilled smoke of Grilled Skirt Steak and Mesclun Salad with Miso Dressing, the wine should have similar complexity. A supple syrah, like Gloria Ferrer Syrah 2002 ($19), resonates with this dish: It has just enough tannin to stand up to the steak, and the ripe blackberry and smoky flavors are amplified by the savory elements. --Jeffery Lindenmuth
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes