This has become a go-to recipe at our house, simple and delicious. It's best served in summer/early fall when tomatoes are in season, but it is a treat at any time of the year. In winter, I use grape tomatoes instead.
Grilled Skirt Steak and Mesclun Salad with Miso Dressing
Category Finalist, Entrées. "Miso paste can be found in most Asian grocery stores. The darker the paste, the saltier and stronger the flavor. For a lower-fat option, substitute flank steak." --Melissa Iwai, Brooklyn, NY
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 275
- Calories from fat: 47%
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 26.2g
- Carbohydrate: 10.7g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 4.6mg
- Sodium: 621mg
- Calcium: 102mg
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons miso (soybean paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic cloves
- 1 (1-pound) skirt steak
- Cooking spray
- 8 cups gourmet salad greens
- 2 tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 medium English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- To prepare dressing, combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- To prepare steak, combine onions, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons vinegar, sugar, and minced garlic in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add steak to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove steak from bag. Place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices. Place steak in a medium bowl. Drizzle with half of dressing; toss well.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl. Drizzle with remaining dressing; toss well. Place about 1 cup salad mixture on each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 3 ounces steak, 4 tomato wedges, and one quarter of cucumber slices. Sprinkle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds.
- Wine note: When layering potent flavors like the savory soy and char-grilled smoke of Grilled Skirt Steak and Mesclun Salad with Miso Dressing, the wine should have similar complexity. A supple syrah, like Gloria Ferrer Syrah 2002 ($19), resonates with this dish: It has just enough tannin to stand up to the steak, and the ripe blackberry and smoky flavors are amplified by the savory elements. --Jeffery Lindenmuth
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note