Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Romesco
Romesco is a classic Spanish sauce made with tomatoes, almonds, bell peppers, and garlic. It's traditionally served with grilled fish or chicken. Here, ancho chiles add a hint of smokiness. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 277
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 37.4g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 259mg
- Iron: 5.2mg
- Sodium: 684mg
- Calcium: 119mg
- 8 plum tomatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 ancho chiles
- 1/4 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1 (1-ounce) slice French bread or other firm white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- To prepare romesco, place tomatoes and garlic in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until tender. Cool. Peel and seed tomatoes; peel garlic.
- Combine 1/2 cup water, 3 tablespoons vinegar, crushed red pepper, and chiles in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 30 minutes. Drain. Discard stems and seeds from chiles.
- Heat a small skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add almonds; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from pan. Add bread to pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Place tomatoes, garlic, chiles, 2 tablespoons vinegar, almonds, bread, 2 tablespoons water, salt, oil, paprika, and pepper in a food processor; process mixture until smooth.
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- Thread the shrimp onto 12 (8-inch) skewers. Place skewers on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done. Sprinkle shrimp with parsley, if desired. Serve with romesco.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note