- 8 plum tomatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 ancho chiles
- 1/4 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1 (1-ounce) slice French bread or other firm white bread, torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 pounds jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- calories 277
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- fat 8.4 g
- satfat 1.1 g
- monofat 3.5 g
- polyfat 2.1 g
- protein 37.4 g
- carbohydrate 13 g
- fiber 2.1 g
- cholesterol 259 mg
- iron 5.2 mg
- sodium 684 mg
- calcium 119 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350º.
To prepare romesco, place tomatoes and garlic in a shallow roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until tender. Cool. Peel and seed tomatoes; peel garlic.
Combine 1/2 cup water, 3 tablespoons vinegar, crushed red pepper, and chiles in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 30 minutes. Drain. Discard stems and seeds from chiles.
Heat a small skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add almonds; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from pan. Add bread to pan; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Place tomatoes, garlic, chiles, 2 tablespoons vinegar, almonds, bread, 2 tablespoons water, salt, oil, paprika, and pepper in a food processor; process mixture until smooth.
Prepare grill or broiler.
Thread the shrimp onto 12 (8-inch) skewers. Place skewers on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray, and cook 3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are done. Sprinkle shrimp with parsley, if desired. Serve with romesco.