Grilled Shrimp in Banana-leaf Pouch
Photo: Jean Allsopp; Styling: Ashley Strickland
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion, divided
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper, divided
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves, roughly torn
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 (10- x 15-inch) pieces banana leaves, trimmed and wiped with damp cloth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Toss shrimp with lime juice.
- Combine 1/2 cup onion, 1/2 cup bell pepper, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Combine shrimp with onion mixture, remaining onion and bell pepper, and next 3 ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place one banana leaf on a 12- x 16-inch piece of aluminum foil. Spread half of the shrimp mixture in center of leaf. Cover it with second banana leaf and another 12- x 16-inch piece of foil. Roll 4 edges of foil over tightly to form a pouch. Repeat with remaining banana leaves, foil, and shrimp.
- Grill pouches, covered with grill lid, over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes. Remove pouches from grill. Remove foil; place pouches onto serving plates. Cut a slit in center of leaves, and peel back. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This