Grilled Seafood or Chicken Skewers
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 59
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 5.6g
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 0.0g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 17mg
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- 3 to 4 pounds of any combination of the following: boned, skinned salmon; albacore tuna fillet; boned, skinned chicken breast halves; peeled, deveined shrimp (20 to 30 per pound); and/or sea scallops (about 1 in. wide)
- 1. Rinse 3 to 4 pounds of any combination of the following: boned, skinned salmon; albacore tuna fillet; boned, skinned chicken breast halves; peeled, deveined shrimp (20 to 30 per pound); and/or sea scallops (about 1 in. wide). Pat dry.
- 2. Cut salmon or albacore against the grain into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Cut chicken lengthwise into 1-inch-wide, 1/2-inch-thick strips. Use a small sharp knife to butterfly shrimp: cut lengthwise along back of shrimp, stopping before you cut all the way through, then spread apart to flatten.
- 3. Thread one strip of fish or chicken, two scallops, or one shrimp onto each soaked 12-inch wood skewer. Brush lightly with Asian sesame oil or vegetable oil.
- 4. Place on a lightly oiled grill over a solid bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning once, until seafood is opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part or chicken is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), about 5 minutes for tuna, chicken, and shrimp, 8 to 10 minutes for salmon and scallops. Serve warm with mustard, ginger, or ponzu dipping sauce.
- Ginger dipping sauce: In a blender or food processor, whirl 1/4 cup coarsely chopped white onion, 1/2 cup peeled, coarsely chopped ginger, and 1/3 cup peeled, coarsely chopped sweet apple (such as Red Delicious), scraping sides of bowl as necessary, until smooth. Add 3/4 cup soy sauce, 6 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil, and 1/4 cup sugar. Whirl until smooth. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 1 week. Whisk before serving. Makes about 2 cups.
- Mustard dipping sauce: In a blender, whirl 3/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons water, 1/4 cup dry mustard, 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds, and 1/4 cup sugar until smooth. Stir in an additional 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 1 week. Whisk before serving. Makes about 1 1/3 cups.
- Ponzu dipping sauce: In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring to a boil 1/2 cup sake or dry white wine, 1/2 cup mirin (sweet rice wine; available in supermarkets), 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup rice vinegar, and 1/4 cup dried bonito flakes (optional; available in Asian markets); if omitting bonito flakes, combine all other ingredients in a bowl and chill. Lower heat and simmer 15 minutes. Strain and chill until cold, about 1 hour. Stir in 3 tablespoons lemon juice. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 1 week. Makes 2 cups.
- Nutritional analysis per 1-ounce salmon skewer.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers