- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh bay scallops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 (6-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water 30 minutes or more
- 1/2 cup Citrus Vinaigrette, divided
- 5 ounces red-leaf, lollo rosso, or butter lettuce
- 1/3 cup mixed thinly sliced radishes
- Sea salt flakes
- 1 orange or tangerine, peeled and sectioned
How to Make It
Preheat grill to medium-high (about 450°F). Soak sliced onion in ice water to cover for 10 minutes; drain well.
Place scallops, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl, and toss until scallops are evenly coated.
Thread scallops onto the skewers (5 or 6 scallops per skewer). Grill the scallops until grill marks appear, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side. (Overcooking the scallops will make them tough and rubbery.) Transfer skewers to a platter, and drizzle with 1/4 cup of the Citrus Vinaigrette.
Toss together the lettuce, radishes, red onion, and remaining 1/4 cup Citrus Vinaigrette in a large bowl. Divide the salad among four plates, and top each salad with two skewers of the grilled scallops. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes, and serve with orange segments.