Grilled Sardines with Beluga Lentils
Photo: Lauren Rubinstein; Styling: Kim Phillips
Yield: 4 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 521
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 57.9g
- Carbohydrate: 57.1g
- Fiber: 12.1g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
- Iron: 11.9mg
- Sodium: 866mg
- Calcium: 106mg
- 2 tablespoons cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked dried beluga lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 (3-ounce) cleaned whole fresh sardines
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups gourmet salad greens
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1. Place cardamom and cumin in a large saucepan over medium heat; cook 5 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally. Add 3 cups water, broth, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 40 minutes. Strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid. Discard solids.
- 2. Combine cooking liquid and lentils in pan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; cover. Let stand 18 minutes or until lentils are just tender; drain.
- 3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add lentils, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Remove from heat; set aside.
- 4. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 5. Arrange fish on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes or until skin is crisp. Turn; grill 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from grill. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; drizzle with juice.
- 6. Combine greens and vinegar. Arrange 1 cup greens on each of 4 plates; top each with 1 cup lentils. Arrange 3 sardines on each plate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes