I used fat-free sour cream, four cloves of garlic, an entire avocado and skipped the water for a creamier dressing - fabulous! Queso cotija is the perfect complement to this salad!
Grilled Romaine with Guacamole Dressing
Photo: Lisa Romerein; Styling: Dani Fisher
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 139
- Calories from fat: 73%
- Protein: 4.4g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 7.1g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Sodium: 275mg
- Cholesterol: 7.8mg
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 2 hearts of romaine, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, or more to taste
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese*
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1. Heat a grill to medium (350° to 450°). In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp. oil with the cayenne. Rub romaine with oil mixture. Grill, turning once, until slightly softened and streaked brown, 5 to 6 minutes total. Arrange romaine cut side up on a platter.
- 2. Whirl remaining 2 tsp. oil, the yogurt, lime juice, avocado, garlic, cilantro, salt, and 2 1/2 tbsp. water in a food processor until smooth. Spoon dressing over romaine and sprinkle with cheese and green onions.
- *Find in grocery stores and Latino markets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads