I used fat-free sour cream, four cloves of garlic, an entire avocado and skipped the water for a creamier dressing - fabulous! Queso cotija is the perfect complement to this salad!
Grilled Romaine with Guacamole Dressing
Although it's tempting to just toss the garlic into the blender without chopping it first, give it a quick chop so you don't end up with big chunks in your dressing. (We learned the hard way!)
More From Sunset
- Calories: 139
- Calories from fat: 73%
- Protein: 4.4g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 7.1g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Sodium: 275mg
- Cholesterol: 7.8mg
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 2 hearts of romaine, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, or more to taste
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese*
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1. Heat a grill to medium (350° to 450°). In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp. oil with the cayenne. Rub romaine with oil mixture. Grill, turning once, until slightly softened and streaked brown, 5 to 6 minutes total. Arrange romaine cut side up on a platter.
- 2. Whirl remaining 2 tsp. oil, the yogurt, lime juice, avocado, garlic, cilantro, salt, and 2 1/2 tbsp. water in a food processor until smooth. Spoon dressing over romaine and sprinkle with cheese and green onions.
- *Find in grocery stores and Latino markets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads