- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, oyster and shiitake, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 4 rib eye steaks, cut about 3/4 inch thick (about 10 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter in the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the shallots and mixed mushrooms and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are browned and their liquid is evaporated, about 8 minutes. Add the fish sauce and cayenne and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tarragon and chives, cover and keep warm.
Preheat a grill pan. Brush the steaks with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Grill over moderately high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare meat. Transfer the steaks to plates. Top with the mushrooms and serve.