Grilled Red Onions
If you've tried to grill onions only to have the rings separate and end up in the fire, then we have a solution. Insert a skewer through an onion slice to hold the rings together.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 12 (8-inch) wooden skewers
- 3 medium red or sweet onions
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 to 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Insert 4 wooden skewers (1 at a time) through each onion about 1/2 inch apart to create horizontal segments. Cut onions into slices between skewers. (Leave skewers in place to hold onion slices together during marinating and cooking.)
- Place slices in a shallow container; add wine. Cover and chill 8 hours, turning occasionally. Drain.
- Melt butter in small saucepan; stir in thyme and pepper. Brush onion slices with butter mixture, reserving some for basting.
- Grill onions, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 6 to 10 minutes, turning and basting often with reserved butter mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This