Grilled Red Cabbage with Garlic Cream
More From Oxmoor House
- 2 small heads red cabbage (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, divided (about 3 cloves)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Remove outer leaves, and cut each cabbage head into 6 wedges, leaving core portion attached to hold the wedges together. Place wedges in a large glass bowl; add 2 tablespoons water, and cover loosely with heavy-duty plastic wrap. Microwave at HIGH for 9 minutes or until tender. (For make ahead: Arrange cabbage wedges on a jelly-roll pan, and refrigerate to cool quickly and stop the cooking process. Cover and chill up to 2 days.)
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; add 1 teaspoon garlic, and sauté 1 minute or until garlic is golden. Add cream, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer over medium-low heat 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. (For make ahead: Cover garlic cream, and chill up to 2 days; reheat in microwave or saucepan.)
- Combine olive oil and remaining 2 teaspoons minced garlic in a small bowl; brush oil over cabbage wedges. Sprinkle cabbage with remaining 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 12 minutes or until browned and slightly charred, turning once. Arrange cabbage on a serving platter; drizzle each wedge with about 1 tablespoon garlic cream.
- Indoor Cooking Option: Broil steamed cabbage on ungreased baking sheets 5 1/2 inches from heat 24 minutes or until browned and slightly charred, turning once.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables