- 2 romaine hearts, split, core intact
- 1 head radicchio, quartered
- 1 red onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, 2 halved and 2 minced
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) slices crusty artisan bread, cut in half
- 1 cup Buttermilk Ricotta
- 12 fresh basil leaves, fine chiffonade
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, cut into wedges
- calories 203
- fat 14 g
- satfat 6 g
- monofat 5.3 g
- polyfat 1.2 g
- protein 10 g
- carbohydrate 10 g
- fiber 2 g
- cholesterol 35 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 205 mg
- calcium 263 mg
How to Make It
Fire up your grill. Medium-high flame/heat.
Ready a large bowl.
PREP THE VEGETABLES, DRESSING, AND SIDES
Combine the romaine hearts, the raddichio, and the onion in the large bowl.
Add 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, 3/8 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
Toss to coat the vegetables. Let sit for 10 minutes before grilling.
Take the 2 halved garlic cloves and rub by hand into the slices of bread.
Combine 1/8 teaspoon salt, the ricotta, the basil, and the pepper in a small bowl. Refrigerate.
Combine 2 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the red wine vinegar, and the 2 minced garlic cloves in a small bowl. Stir with a teaspoon. Keep this vinaigrette loose and easy.
GRILL! Grill the onions first for 5 minutes or until nicely marked and wilted.
Follow up with the romaine and the radicchio, finding the hottest spots on your grill. Grill until well marked, about 2 minutes, not a moment more. Remove to a plate.
Grill the bread, cooking 2 minutes on each side to slightly char. Remove to the plate.
USE YOUR BEST PLATING SKILLS Create an arrangement of the radicchio, the romaine, and the tomatoes on a large platter.
Scatter the grilled onions on top.
Spoon the vinaigrette over the salad and sprinkle with the remaining salt and the pepper.
Spoon the ricotta mixture onto the grilled bread, being conscious to leave some grilled bits showing.
Serve the bread and salad with forks and steak knives.