Grilled Potato Rosemary Cake
Keep an eye on the heat here—if it climbs past 400°, the potatoes may scorch.
Yield: Serves 6
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 221
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 4g
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Sodium: 330mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- About 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves, plus fresh rosemary flowers (optional)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1. Heat grill to medium-low (350° to 400°).
- 2. Combine 1 tbsp. chopped rosemary, the salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Peel potatoes and put in a bowl of water. Coat a large cast-iron skillet with 1 tbsp. oil. Using a mandoline or knife, cut half the potatoes into 1/8-in. slices and arrange them in tightly overlapping circles in skillet. Sprinkle with half of salt mixture. Repeat with remaining potatoes and salt mixture, making a second layer. Drizzle remaining 3 tbsp. oil over potatoes, shaking pan to distribute it well. Press potato cake with hands to compact.
- 3. Cook potatoes with grill lid down until well browned on bottom (lift edge with a spatula to check), 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from grill. Loosen potatoes with a wide spatula. Invert a platter over pan, carefully hold both together (use oven mitts), and invert potato cake. Scatter a little more chopped rosemary over potatoes, plus rosemary flowers if you like. Cut into wedges.
- Make ahead: Keep potato cake warm in pan or on platter in a 200° oven up to 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables