Grilled Portobello Cheeseburgers with Pesto
modified from Bon Appétit, June 2009
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) basil pesto
- 1/4 cup(s) fat free mayo
- olive oil
- 4 large portobello mushrooms
- 4 slice(s) provolone
- 4 burger rolls, top halves hollowed-out
- 2 or 3 cup(s) crisp greens
- 1. Blacken the skin of a large uncut bell pepper over an open flame, then steam in bag or foil for about 10min. or until tender. Remove the skin with a paper towel or your thumb. Stem, seed, and cut the pepper into strips, none bigger than your burger bun. Hold aside
- 2. Combine pesto & mayo and season with salt & pepper to taste. Hold aside.
- 3. Clean the mushrooms with brush, remove stems and gills. Lightly spray both sides with olive oil. Grill, starting will gill-side down, about 4-5min per side.
- 4. When mushrooms are almost done, season with salt & pepper and put one slice of cheese into each mushroom cap to melt.
- 5. Also when mushrooms are almost done, put rolls on the grill and toast to your preference. Remove rolls, spread bottom of each with pesto mayo and hold.
- 6. Place each mushroom cap on a top half of the rolls (as if you're putting one bowl inside another), put red pepper slices onto the cheese, add a handful of arugula, romaine or whatever crisp green you prefer.
- 7. Cover each with the prepped roll bottoms, turn burgers right-side up and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by carolfitz and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note