Grilled Peppers and Sausage with Cheese Grits
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Amy Burke
More From Southern Living
Total: 37 Minutes
- 2 medium-size red bell peppers, cut into quarters
- 2 medium-size sweet onions, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (19.76-oz.) package garlic pork sausage links
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Toss peppers and onions with olive oil, thyme, and 1/2 tsp. salt.
- 2. Grill pepper mixture and sausage at the same time, covered with grill lid. Grill pepper mixture, turning occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until wilted. Grill sausage 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- 3. Bring remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, chicken broth, and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a 3-qt. saucepan; slowly stir in grits, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes or until thickened and creamy, stirring often. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and next 3 ingredients.
- 4. Coarsely chop peppers and onions, and slice sausage into 1-inch pieces. Serve sausage-and-pepper mixture over hot cooked grits.
- Note: We tested with Johnsonville Irish O'Garlic Sausage.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note