I've been meaning to make this for years, just sitting in my folder of recipes to make. Glad I did. Really nice salad. I broiled the pepper instead of grilling. I also made ahead and served it cold. My lentils got a bit mushy, but I can't ever cook them right :) Still had good flavors and my kids ate it up too.
Grilled Peppers and Lentil Salad
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Mindi Shapiro
You can substitute 1 1/4 teaspoons ground fennel seeds if fennel pollen is unavailable.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 287
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 15.7g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 5mg
- Sodium: 596mg
- Calcium: 22mg
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 green bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 cup chopped plum tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel pollen
- 1. Preheat grill to high heat.
- 2. Lightly coat bell pepper pieces with cooking spray. Place bell pepper pieces, skin side down, on grill rack; grill 12 minutes or until skins are blackened. Place bell pepper pieces in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes; peel and chop bell peppers. Discard skins. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Place bell peppers in a large bowl.
- 3. Rinse and drain lentils; place in a large saucepan. Cover with water to 3 inches above lentils; add onion and bay leaf to pan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until lentils are just tender. Drain lentils. Discard onion halves and bay leaf. Add lentils to bell peppers. Add remaining 5/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, tomato, and remaining ingredients to lentil mixture; stir well.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This