Outstanding recipe! Our grocery store has pizza dough they sell, and we use that in place of the Homemade pizza dough. You have to get the hang of working with pizza dough to get it thin enough so that the calzones aren't too thick - the thinner they are - the crispier and yummier they are.
Grilled Pepper, Onion, and Sausage Calzones
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr
Use sweet turkey Italian sausage in these calzones for sensitive palates. Serve with a spinach salad.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 calzone and 5 1/2 teaspoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 398
- Fat: 13.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 21.5g
- Carbohydrate: 48g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 3.8mg
- Sodium: 759mg
- Calcium: 186mg
- 1 portion Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 14 ounces)
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 yellow bell pepper, quartered
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound hot Italian turkey sausage links
- 1 3/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons New York-Style Pizza Sauce, divided
- 113/ cup (about 5 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. Remove Homemade Pizza Dough from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- 2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. Coat onion slices and bell pepper pieces with cooking spray. Place vegetables and sausages on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill vegetables 4 minutes on each side or until browned; grill sausages 8 minutes or until done, turning occasionally to brown on all sides. Remove vegetables and sausages from grill; cool slightly. Cut onion slices in half; cut bell pepper pieces into 1/2-inch strips. Cut sausages diagonally into thin slices.
- 4. Preheat oven to 500°
- 5. Place dough on a lightly floured surface; divide dough into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 9 x 5-inch rectangle. Spread 1/4 cup New York-Style Pizza Sauce evenly over each rectangle, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Arrange sausage evenly over half of each rectangle; top evenly with onion and bell peppers. Sprinkle each calzone with 1/3 cup cheese. Fold other half of dough over filling; press edges together with a fork to seal.
- 6. Place calzones on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat calzones with cooking spray. Bake at 500° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut each calzone in half; serve with remaining New York-Style Pizza Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note