Yummy! I am not a huge fan of okra, but when it is fresh, and prepared in such a simple but tasty way, I wonder why I don't eat it more often.The heat of the oil baste was a good complement to the mild flavor of the okra, along with the tang of the tomatoes and onions. I served it as a side with grilled tri-tip. Pretty and delicious.
Grilled Okra and Tomato Skewers
Grill these appetizers when you cook Grilled Herb Grit Cakes. Assemble skewers the night before; brush them with the oil mixture before grilling. Flavor oil mixture with dried ground herbs to suit your taste. Look for okra pods of similar size to assure even grilling.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 44
- Calories from fat: 49%
- Fat: 2.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 5.5g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 241mg
- Calcium: 42mg
- 2 small onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 24 okra pods (about 3/4 pound), trimmed
- 16 cherry tomatoes (about 1/2 pound)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking spray
- Prepare grill.
- Divide each onion wedge into 2 equal pieces. Thread 3 okra pods, 2 cherry tomatoes, and 2 onion pieces alternately onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Combine olive oil, kosher salt, and the remaining ingredients except for cooking spray in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Brush olive oil mixture over the skewers. Place the skewers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill skewers for 3 minutes on each side or until tender.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Grilled Okra and Tomato Skewers Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Hors d'Oeuvres
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Carbohydrate, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat, Gluten-Free
- COOKING METHOD: Grill
- OCCASION: Summer
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light