Grilled Okra-and-Tomatillo Salad
The tomatillo (tohm-ah-TEE-oh) is often known as a Mexican green tomato. Its distinguishing feature is a paper-like husk, which, if fresh, will be tight-fitting around the fruit.
More From Southern Living
Grill: 18 Minutes
- 10 fresh tomatillos*
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound fresh okra, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1. Remove husks from tomatillos; wash thoroughly, and thinly slice.
- 2. Coat a cold cooking grate with cooking spray; place on grill over medium-high heat (350° to 400°). Place tomatillos on cooking grate, and grill, covered with grill lid, 4 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove from grill; coarsely chop.
- 3. Toss onion with 1 tsp. olive oil. Grill onion in a grill wok or metal basket, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 5 minutes or until slightly charred, stirring occasionally. Remove from grill, and coarsely chop.
- 4. Cut okra in half lengthwise, and toss with remaining 1 tsp. oil. Grill okra in a grill wok or metal basket, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from grill.
- 5. Stir together lime rind and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl; add tomatillos, onion, and okra, tossing to coat. Serve at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads