I enjoyed this meal, but did find the pineapple sauce a bit overwhelming. I love pineapple, but thought the recipe needed a little more to balance the sweetness of the sauce. The peppers helped, but were not enough. Maybe next time I'll try the sauce with chicken or ham.
Grilled MahiMahi Skewers with Pineapple-Mandarin Sauce
Serve this dish over cooked rice.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 kebabs and 1/2 cup pineapple sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 392
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 35.1g
- Carbohydrate: 47.7g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 427mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine) or slightly sweet white wine (such as Riesling)
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1 1/2 pounds mahimahi steaks, cut into 24 (1-inch) pieces
- 24 (1-inch) cubes fresh pineapple
- 24 (1-inch) pieces green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Combine chopped onion and honey in a medium nonstick skillet, and place over medium heat. Cook 12 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add red wine and the next 4 ingredients (wine through mirin); cook 10 minutes. Stir in diced pineapple, and cook 5 minutes. Keep warm.
- Prepare grill.
- Thread 3 mahimahi pieces, 3 pineapple cubes, and 3 bell pepper pieces alternately onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Sprinkle kebabs with sage, salt, and black pepper. Place the kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill kebabs 15 minutes or until fish is done, turning every 5 minutes. Serve with pineapple sauce. Sprinkle with chives, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Grilled MahiMahi Skewers with Pineapple-Mandarin Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes