- 8 slices white bread
- 8 slices Crystal Farms American Cheese Slices
- 3 cups mac & cheese, warmed up (recipe below)
- 8 teaspoons mayonnaise
- Mac and Cheese
- 2 1/2 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- 2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Crystal Farms® Butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons Crystal Farms Wisconsin 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese
- 3 1/2 cups Crystal Farms Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 ounce Crystal Farms Blue Cheese Crumbles
How to Make It
Preheat a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Preheat oven to 350º F.
Brush 1 side of white bread with 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise. Start toasting 4 slices of bread, mayonnaise side down, until golden brown.
While bread is toasting, lay out 4 slices of American cheese and top each with 3/4 cup of warmed mac & cheese. Top with another American cheese slice.
Toast remaining slices of bread and top with mac & cheese. Top with pre-toasted bread and plance is over for 2/4 minutes, until the bottom bread is golden brown and mac & cheese is warm.
Mac and Cheese
Cook elbow macaroni in rolling boiling salted water with oil per the manufacturer's recommendation. Oil helps prevent the water from boiling over the top of the pan. After cooking macaroni, cool the pasta in cold water, drain and reserve until needed.
In a saucepan, melt butter, add flour and cook for 3 minutes under medium low heat.
Add the milk while stirring the then continue to add cream, Dijon mustard, Wisconsin 1/3 less fat cream cheese, black pepper and salt.
Cook the mixture while stirring with a wooden spoon until it has reached a very slow simmer. Once it reaches a slow simmer, cook for 15 minutes while continually stirring.
Add the shredded Cheddar cheese and 1 ounce of Wisconsin Blue Cheese crumbles, continuing to cook the mixture on medium low heat until the cheese is melted.
Fold in the macaroni and transfer mac and cheese to a baking dish or sheet pans.
Cover the pans and cool the mac and cheese until it is time to make the sandwiches. It can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.