Grilled Lettuces with Manchego
Ngoc Minh Ngo
Prep and Cook Time: about 20 minutes. Notes: Little Gem, a type of miniature romaine lettuce, is perfect for this recipe, but hearts of regular romaine work too.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 149
- Calories from fat: 79%
- Protein: 6.2g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 5.2g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 206mg
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- 3 canned anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
- 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 whole small Little Gem lettuces or 4 hearts of romaine, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/8 pound manchego cheese, shaved into thin curls with a vegetable peeler
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1. With the flat side of a knife, mash the anchovies to a paste. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, anchovy paste, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. Cut lettuces in half lengthwise, keeping leaves attached to cores. Brush all over with 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons anchovy dressing.
- 3. Lay lettuces on a barbecue grill over a solid bed of medium-hot coals or medium-high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level for 5 to 6 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning once, until lettuces are softened and streaked brown, about 8 minutes.
- 4. Place lettuces cut side up on a platter. Drizzle remaining dressing over lettuces and top with manchego curls. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads