This was pretty good, but I wasn't bowled over by it. Kind of dry and needed something to make it zing-ier. Makes a ton, btw, had plenty for leftovers. Filling.
Grilled Italian Vegetables with Pasta
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 333
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 4.2mg
- Sodium: 295mg
- Calcium: 138mg
- 1 (1 1/4-pound) eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 pound zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- Cooking spray
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- 4 cups (3-inch) sliced green onions (about 2 bunches)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 6 cups hot cooked penne (about 12 ounces uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Place eggplant in a colander; sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt. Toss gently to coat. Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant with cold water, and drain well.
- Prepare grill.
- Place eggplant, zucchini, and bell pepper on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 10 minutes, turning once. Add tomatoes and onions; cook 5 minutes, turning often. Remove the vegetables from grill; cut all into 1-inch pieces except tomato. Cut tomato halves in half lengthwise.
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, oil, rind, and basil in a large bowl. Add vegetable mixture, pasta, and cheese; toss well.
Salting the eggplant pulls out some of the bitter flavor, but you can skip that step if you prefer. Any short pasta will work.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note