Really, really good--I had a hard time stopping myself from overeating. The changes I made were reducing the cumin to 1 tsp since I was afraid my daughter wouldn't like it and adding a tablespoon of brown sugar to the rub like Cooks Illustrated seems to do in most of their rubs. I also got a little bit of smoke from the leftover wood chips still in the grill from the last time I did BBQ on the grill. I used drumsticks as well. The white sauce kind of grew on me after a few tastes.
Grilled Herbed Chicken Drumettes With White Barbecue Sauce
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Melanie Clarke
More From Southern Living
Chill: 4 Hours
Grill: 25 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 pounds chicken drumettes
- Garnish: green onion curls
- White Barbecue Sauce
- 1. Combine first 7 ingredients. Rinse chicken, and pat dry; rub mixture over chicken. Place chicken in a zip-top plastic freezer bag. Seal bag, and chill 4 to 24 hours. Remove chicken from bag, discarding bag.
- 2. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Grill chicken, covered with grill lid, 20 to 25 minutes or until done, turning once. Garnish, if desired. Serve with White Barbecue Sauce.
- Grilled Herbed Chicken Drumsticks: Substitute 10 to 12 drumsticks for drumettes. Proceed with recipe as directed, increasing grilling time to 25 to 30 minutes or until done, turning once. Makes 10-12 drumsticks. Prep: 15 min., Chill: 4 hr., Grill: 30 min.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note