A easy gourmet upgrade to the classic sandwich. This will be a stable in our house!
Grilled Ham and Cheese with Tomato
Wheat bread would be a good stand-in for the white bread in this modified ham-and-cheese sandwich. A creamy spread of sour cream, Dijon mustard, and Parmesan cheese adds lots of flavor.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 407
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 28.2g
- Carbohydrate: 47.5g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 1229mg
- Calcium: 337mg
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 8 (1 1/2-ounce) slices hearty white bread
- 16 (1/2-ounce) slices 33%-less- sodium ham
- 8 (1/8-inch-thick) slices tomato (about 1 medium)
- 8 (1/2-ounce) slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- Cooking spray
- Combine mustard, sour cream, and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Spread 2 teaspoons mustard mixture over each bread slice. Top each of the 4 bread slices with 4 ham slices, 2 tomato slices, 2 cheese slices, and 1/2 teaspoon fresh chives. Top with the remaining bread slices. Lightly coat outside of bread with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches to pan. Place a cast-iron or heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; press gently to flatten. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and bread is toasted (leave cast-iron skillet on sandwiches while they cook). Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note