Grilled Halloumi Pitas
The saltiness of halloumi cheese is a good balance for the smoky-tasting grilled peppers in this pita sandwich. Be careful not to cut the cheese too thin, or it will be hard to work with on the grill.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 651
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 31g
- Fat: 39g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sodium: 1952mg
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- About 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 pkgs. halloumi cheese (about 8 oz. each), cut into thick slices
- 4 onion slices (1/4 in. thick)
- 4 pita breads, cut in half
- 1/4 cup sliced roasted red peppers, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for high heat (450° to 550°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 4 seconds). Brush 2 tbsp. oil over cheese and onion. Grill, turning once, until grill marks appear, about 8 minutes. Cut onions in half.
- 2. Fill pita halves with equal amounts of cheese, onions, peppers, and pepperoncini. Brush a little oil on outside of pitas, then grill, turning once, until grill marks appear and bread is toasted, about 4 minutes. Serve with mixed olives and a green salad.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 2 pita halves.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note