- About 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 pkgs. halloumi cheese (about 8 oz. each), cut into thick slices
- 4 onion slices (1/4 in. thick)
- 4 pita breads, cut in half
- 1/4 cup sliced roasted red peppers, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini
- calories 651
- caloriesfromfat 54 %
- protein 31 g
- fat 39 g
- satfat 19 g
- carbohydrate 44 g
- fiber 2 g
- sodium 1952 mg
- cholesterol 85 mg
How to Make It
Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for high heat (450° to 550°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 4 seconds). Brush 2 tbsp. oil over cheese and onion. Grill, turning once, until grill marks appear, about 8 minutes. Cut onions in half.
Fill pita halves with equal amounts of cheese, onions, peppers, and pepperoncini. Brush a little oil on outside of pitas, then grill, turning once, until grill marks appear and bread is toasted, about 4 minutes. Serve with mixed olives and a green salad.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per 2 pita halves.