I was compelled by the ingredient list but disappointed by the result. In particular I felt the sherry vinegar and parsley did not harmonize well with the rest of the ingredients. We added almost the full can of anchovies (far more than 2-3) and the full amount of hot sauce to try to achieve a "balance" that worked. While that made it better, this just didn't do it for us.
Grilled Halibut with Tomato, Green Olive, and Celery Sauce
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Nissa Quanstrom
More From Sunset
Stand: 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 327
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 39g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Carbohydrate: 5.5g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 1319mg
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 large inner celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 pound orange or red tomatoes, finely chopped
- About 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- About 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 to 3 large anchovies, minced and mashed with flat side of a chef's knife
- About 8 cracked green olives, pitted* and minced
- 6 Pacific halibut fillets with skin, each 1 in. thick and 5 to 6 oz.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1. Make sauce: Combine ingredients in a bowl, adding hot sauce, salt, anchovies, and olives to taste. Set aside 30 to 60 minutes for flavors to come together.
- 2. Heat a grill to high (about 450°). Prepare fish: In a large, shallow bowl, coat fish with oil. Combine pepper, kosher salt, and celery salt; rub all over fish. Oil cooking grate, using a wad of oiled paper towels and tongs. Grill fish, turning once, until marks appear and fish is just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes total. Serve with sauce.
- *To pit olives, smash one at a time with the flat side of a chef's knife, and cut out pit.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This