I made these for Bunco and they are really great and unique. I trimmed the crust off of Oroweat double fiber bread and to serve cut them into quarters. I doubled the recipe and had julienned sun-dried tomatoes so scooped out about 1/4-1/3 cup. After processing I tasted the tapenade and it was perfect but when spreading was a little skimpy and could have used a little more tapenade but worked ok. I sliced the gruyere and that worked great - SOO good!! I broiled the sandwiches and they toasted unevenly so I had to watch them closely. I think the directions in the recipes would work better.
Grilled Gruyère and Olive Tapenade Sandwiches
More From Cooking Light
Total: 20 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 346
- Fat: 20.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 14.7g
- Carbohydrate: 28.9g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 618mg
- Calcium: 290mg
- 1 (8.5-ounce) jar oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 12 pitted kalamata olives
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 (1-ounce) slices multigrain bread
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices large tomato
- 2 ounces Gruyère cheese, shaved
- 1. Remove 4 sun-dried tomatoes and 2 tablespoons oil from jar. Reserve remaining tomatoes and oil for another use. Set 1 tablespoon oil aside. Combine tomatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, olives, and garlic in a mini food processor; process until mostly smooth, scraping sides of bowl once.
- 2. Brush one side of each bread slice with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons olive mixture on each of 4 bread slices, oil side down. Top each bread slice with 1 tablespoon cheese, 2 tomato slices, and 1/2 ounce Gruyère. Top each with remaining 4 bread slices, oil side up.
- 3. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sandwiches to pan. Place a cast-iron or other heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; press gently to flatten sandwiches (leave cast-iron skillet on sandwiches while they cook). Cook 2 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and bread is toasted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This