I thought this was excellent. Great flavor. I also used the marinade with yellow squash and zuchinni. I never used the mozzarella as this made a wonderful side dish.. Added more garlic & a tsp of salt to the marinade. Definitely a keeper.
Grilled Green Tomatoes Caprese
Ciao, y'all! Green tomatoes go from the frying pan into the fire with a Southern-Italian twist. Using white (rather than brown) balsamic vinegar in the marinade brightens the color of the grilled tomatoes, but the salad's flavor is extraordinary with either.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 21 Minutes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium-size green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 2 lb.)
- 1 (16-oz.) package sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; add tomatoes, seal, and shake gently to coat. Chill 1 hour.
- 2. Preheat grill to 350° to 400° (medium-high) heat. Remove tomatoes from marinade, reserving marinade. Grill tomatoes, covered with grill lid, 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until tender and grill marks appear.
- 3. Arrange alternating slices of warm grilled tomatoes and mozzarella cheese on a large, shallow platter. Drizzle with reserved marinade; season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note