Celery, Grilled Grape and Mushroom Salad
Photo: Con Poulos
"Celery is a vegetable people either love or hate, and we try to get people to love all their vegetables," says chef Amanda Cohen of New York City's Dirt Candy. She sets off celery's bitterness and crunch with meaty oyster mushrooms and grapes that have been grilled until almost bursting.
More From Food & Wine
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup roasted almond oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 cups (from one head) tender celery leaves
- 1/4 cup salted roasted almonds, chopped
- 1 pound king oyster mushrooms, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 2 cups (12 ounces) green grapes
- 2 heads butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 cups very thinly sliced celery
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar with the lemon juice, celery seeds, mustard and half of the garlic. Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup of the olive oil and the almond oil until emulsified. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- In a mini food processor, combine the remaining garlic with the parsley, celery leaves and almonds and pulse until finely chopped. Add another 1/4 cup of the olive oil and puree to a chunky paste. Season the pesto with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill. Brush the mushrooms with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until tender and browned, about 5 minutes. In a bowl, toss the grapes with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat until the skins begin to blacken in spots, about 3 minutes; line the grill with perforated foil if the grapes will fall through. Transfer the grapes and mushrooms to a large bowl and toss with the pesto.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a platter and drizzle with half of the dressing. Spoon the mushroom-and-grape salad onto the lettuce. Toss the celery with the remaining dressing, spoon it on top and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This