Grilled Goat Cheese and Strawberry Sandwiches
Time: 15 minutes. Sarah Van Winkle credits a sandwich from Half & Half cafe, in Portland, Oregon, with inspiring her version. She calls it "unexpectedly delicious." Van Winkle cooks them in a panini press, but we found that using a frying pan reduces the tendency of the strawberry juices to bleed.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 360
- Calories from fat: 58%
- Protein: 14g
- Fat: 23g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Sodium: 573mg
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 4 slices levain (or other hearty, rustic bread)
- 3 ounces fresh goat cheese, preferably from a local dairy
- 6 large strawberries, sliced thin
- 8 to 12 basil leaves
- Butter 1 side of each bread slice. Generously spread goat cheese on unbuttered side of 2 slices and cook them, cheese side up, until golden underneath, about 2 minutes. Layer with strawberries and basil. Top with remaining bread slices, buttered side up; turn over and cook until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note